Dos and Don’ts of Online Dating in Australia
Today’s society is always connected to the internet and for many smart phone users they’re swiping, tapping or viewing dating apps. Online dating Australia is a great way to meet although many of these ‘meetings’ may not even get to the physical stage of a couple meeting face to face. That’s a good thing!
Online dating sites are one of the internet’s biggest trends and they’ve caused the dating scene to shift enormously. More people now meet via online sites than in person. Again, this poses benefits and challenges. While it’s often more difficult to meet someone offline, you can peruse the available pool of potential partners and get to know potential mates from the comfort of your own home.
Online Dating Culture in Australia
Online dating in Australia is an increasing trend due to multiple factors. Australians are busy people generally speaking so we look for convenience in most things. Internet dating apps and websites provide that because they are so easily accessed.
However, there are definite challenges, especially around physical safety for women especially sexual assault. Added to this scams are rife targeting both men and women. There are a zillion fake profiles of people pretending to be someone they’re not. Nevertheless, the popularity of apps and websites in Australia is trending upwards.
Online dating is a completely different game than traditional dating. For anyone considering going online, here’s are a few do’s and don’ts to make the most of dating people and online safety.
DOs on a Date – Top Tips
- Give it a try! Internet dating seems scary, but it can actually be less stressful than meeting someone in person. Sign up for a free site and give it a few weeks – if you don’t like it, you can always delete your profile. I suggest you research the type of site very well before signing up. Online dating apps like Tinder may not be your scene. You may not appreciate internet meat markets! But you may appreciate sites like eHarmony who ask a raft of questions from both men and women in order to find compatible partners.
- Be strategic about the information in your online dating profile. Include that you’re a cat lover and frequently crave Mexican food, but leave out the fact that your last relationship didn’t end well. Treat your profile like a resume – position yourself in the best possible light. Always be honest and upfront, especially about your core values and belief systems. This way you will attract people who are the most compatible. It’s important to be upfront about your sexual orientation before you meet however, you may not wish to make this public on your profile, which is of course your choice.
- Use an app with an appropriate age demographic, if you’re a mature person, Hinge might not be the best fit for you. Also using apps based upon mutual interests can work eg. various religion or spirituality sites such as Australia’s Spiritual Singles.
- Get your head right before you go, relax and destress before you go to meet someone you’ve met online. Maybe a walk in nature would help here or a bubble bath and some yoga.
- Let a friend know if you’re going on first and second dates. If you’re getting to know someone and plan to meet in person for the first time, tell a trusted friend where you’re going. Meet in a public place such as a café or restaurant or maybe grab a coffee rather than going on a dinner date which may come later. As a general rule, your date should feel right, natural and your date should seem genuinely interested in you.
- No discussion of heavy topics especially ex partners. Conversation can be both light and interesting.
- Watch the body language of your date. Is he/she mirroring your body language? This is a positive sign. Or is he fidgeting and paying too much attention to his phone? Did he/she turn their phone off? This is a good sign.
- Watch your consumption of alcohol and your date’s as well. If he/she is drinking like a fish, it could potentially be a red flag.
- Decide who is paying for what before you get there. If he wants you to pay for everything – there’s another red flag.
- It’s important to know that if you have any doubts, don’t go. Listen to your intuition at all times. Stay safe!
DON’Ts when Online Dating – Top Tips
- Lie on your online profile. It may be tempting to exaggerate your past experiences or tell a small fib when it comes to your appearance, but it will undoubtedly backfire on you in the future. If someone isn’t happy with who you are, it’s best to let them pass you by instead of lying to win their affection.
- Share personal information too early. You can’t trust everyone on the Internet, and it’s likely that you’ll encounter one or two people with less than honorable intentions. Don’t give away your address, phone number or any other personal information until you’re entirely comfortable. Be especially careful about your finances and assets.
- Be crushed or devastated by a bad date. You’ll probably be going on more dates in a shorter timeframe, so you’re more likely to go out with someone you could never imagine yourself with. If this happens to you, focus on having fun in the moment and learning something from the other person. There’s plenty of fish in the sea, so don’t get disappointed if your first date isn’t a good match.
- Ignore any bad signs or intuitions, especially where you may feel unsafe. It’s important to feel comfortable at all times.
Online dating in Australia can be fun, and it’s a great way to meet people. You can spend a lot of time talking with someone and getting to know them on a personal level before ever meeting in person, which is a great way to calm any nerves you may have before a date. It’s also good to join online groups to meet friends. There’s less pressure and stress and you are not automatically expected to ‘hookup’ with someone. You can go out on dates and movies as a group of new people getting to know each other.
Just remember to trust your intuition. If you get a bad feeling about someone, it’s best to trust your judgement and end the relationship before you get more involved. If you get a good feeling about someone but they aren’t the type of person you imagine yourself with, trust your gut and don’t count them out just yet.
The main thing to remember is to give it a try, have some fun and take reasonable precautions. You could be lucky!
Struggling with your intuition to tell if he or she is the right one for you? Our phone psychics at Absolute Soul Secrets can help! Our specialty is relationships so why not call one of our phone psychics today.
Check out our relationship psychics and clairvoyants here.
Not sure about phone psychic readings? Get an email reading here